TRAIL RUNNING TRAINING DAY 13

I'm on my 12th day of my 60 days training for Bario trail run race. It's has been gruelling 12 days for me. I never  try trail running competition before. I done lot of running on the road before but never trail running. My only trail running is at FRIM and I enjoy the forest trail. I only discovered this year about trail running completions and really excited about it.

I heard about Bario trail run and quickly signed up. It's 50km running through the scenic forest trail of highland Sarawak. It's on 21st May. I always want to go to Bario and the idea just clicked. However, the catch is I need to run for 50km and its a jungle track along the highland of Sarawak. I don't know what I'm thinking when i signed up for the race. I must be little of crazy when I click the button "register". 50 kilometre! What I am thinking!!!

Perhaps the inner me is challenging my self to keep pushing my self to the limit. Challenge the norms, expand my horizon, take up new challenge, and keep reinvent my self.

Maybe its my old self asking "Shahrin, are you going to run on tarred road for the rest of your life? Where is your sense of adventure?"

With that, I clicked the yes button.

My preparation started with 10km Sarawak Kuching 10km road race in February. The idea is to run 10km at a fast pace. Managed to finished the race in 50 minutes. My body feel right, and managed to run non stop for the whole 10km (of course stop for a while at the water station for quick drink and munching bananas).

After 2 days of recovery, every morning I did a strength work out. It's a 30 minutes work out to strengthen my muscle. It looks easy but my body still aching after 3 days. Every two days I will add on 1 hour of cross training session to the work out routine. My body slowly adapting to the punishing work out regime.

I can sense my body getting stronger. On the 5th day of my training, I hit the jungle trail at Kemensah. I was not feeling well the day before but proceed to run the next day. While I did not feel any cramped or any pain on my body, I succumbed to fatigue. As I do not want to risk injury, I need to stop the run. Injury may derail my training and I don't want that to happen. Btw, I still have time to conditioned my self for the race.

My first trial for trail run will be King of Kemensah 18km trail run on 7th of May. It's a warm up event for Bario trail run. exactly two weeks after on the 21st of May. Hope to gain as much experience in that event to prepare for Bario.

I am sitting on a balcony of my hotel room at Nexus Karambunai resort & spa at Kota Kinabalu, looking at the 6.2km stretch of beach in front of me. I'll do some beach run tomorrow morning. I'm still recovering from 12km run at Tanjung Lipat track yesterday. Listening to the sound of the ocean wave hitting the beach can calm any restless soul and one of the best way to relax your body.

Ok, until next up date of my 60 days training and owh, you can also keep updated on my progress from my Instagram @Shahrin Hashim.

Sign off for now

P.s I signed up for 50km King of Sungai Lembing on 15th October this year. Hah! That one is a story for another day.


Comments

Popular Posts