Trail Running training day 24

"Shit!" "What am I doing here?" "Why did I put myself in this pain?" "I cannot take this any more"

I lost count how many times I said all these negative comments to myself. When you train for trail running, you cannot avoid pain and sometime you may suffer injury. Trail running demands my self to push my limit. Hence, when I am in training, I will push my body to the limit but stop short of injuring my self. Injury forces me to stop training to heal. The healing process may take long time depending on the nature of the injury. When I resume training, I may need to start all over again. I don't want that to happen.

It is not that I don't take risk, I take calculated risk. I learn from others on the right way of doing things to minimise the risk. You don't take risk, might as well you just stay on your bed (although there is risk of the ceiling falling down on you).

I hit 14km morning run in one hour yesterday. I ran until I about to throw up. Then I stopped Maybe its the heat. It was 10.30am and the sun was out in full force. I finish the whole 500ml of mineral water just to make sure I don't suffer from dehydration and I drank like camel in a desert. Due to abundance of water supply in Malaysia, we tends to forget all the blessing such as clean water. We waste, we pollute, because we thought water is our birth right guaranteed by God.

Speaking of water, this morning I learn how to use the running backpack together with the water bladders. It was my first time using the water bladder and I make a total mess. My kitchen drenched with tap water. Still learning the correct technique to use the water bladders; how to refill, how to store it inside the running backpack, and how to drink from the water bladder. I will try to experiment again this evening. Will keep on practising until I get it perfect.

Trail running is not just about running, it is also how good you are handling the equipments. The equipments are there to help you not the other way around. I don't want to waste a single drop of  dripping water from my water reservoir. Water is a luxury item when you are in the trail and it might save your life in case of emergency.

I guess trail running taught me few things. I started to embrace 'minimalist' philosophy in my life. Run light and fast. Have the necessary equipment but don't over supply. Be compact, be prepared. From foods, drinks, apparel, and tools; choose the best and the lightest.

Ha.. About 'light and fast', it reminds me that I need to get rid of the 'excess baggage' in my tummy :)

Comments

Popular Posts