Prayer Mountain

Any passengers of MASwings from Marudi to Bario may have seen prayer mountain before landing  at the Bario airport. I was fortunate to just look down from my window to saw a big cross on top of a mountain before landing. I was of course at that point of time do not know the name of the mountain. 

Prayer mountain was open by the early settlers at Bario. People use to hike at the mountain for morning mass as evidenced by an old chapel in the middle of the mountain. With new churches built on the grounds, people don't often come to the mountain for prayer and slowly the chapel is deserted. Right now, the old chapel is till stood there offering shelters to hikers going up the mountain's peak.




We went up the mountain quite late around 10am. All of us are still tired of the trail running competition the day before. Further more, a medal giving ceremony at the longhouse with all the foods and drinks and dances we slept late into the night. The next day I heard the Tubong at 5.30am and my "ok just another 10 minutes" turned out to be 60 minutes...lesson learned but always ignored.

We had our breakfast of local pancake made from local rice flour. I filled up my water reservoirs, some chocolates, and a can of isotonic drink I got from the finish line yesterday (I'm too damn tired to drink it yesterday) and off we go to the mountain.

It took 15 minutes walk from our longhouse to the foot of the hill. I already washed my running shoes for its covered with mud yesterday's race. So for this hike, Jacob prepared for me his Adidas Kampung. Nice grip but very soft you can even feel the rocks as you walk. It takes another 40 minutes of mild climbing to the top. You will enjoy the track. As you get higher, the strong wind will cool your sweat off. 

Our journey temporary halted as we encountered a baby cobra. We "shoosh" him to the bush and walk faster praying that the mama cobra is not nearby. Apart from the cobra incident, we enjoy the flora of the mountains with beautiful flowers and the sceneries.

I slowly reaching the top and first thing in order is to empty the can of isotonic drink. Only hikers knew the feeling of "celebration drink" on top of the mountain. The reward is the beautiful scenery before you. It makes you feel like you are on top of the world. The feeling of accomplishment add up to your self motivation and self believes banks. That's explain why I always believes that I can do anything if I put my mind into it. Your self believe can have its high and lows but it needs to be replenished from time to time. You need to be reminded from time to time.


From on top of the mountain, the world look like a peaceful place to live. God created mountains and valleys for a reason for those who think. While enjoying the view I never forgot the One who created all these beauties for me to enjoy and cherished.

Comments

Popular Posts