Bario ultra 50km Trail Run

TMMT... the most muddiest trail running... and so that is what Bario ultra trail running is all about this year. About 43 runners taking part in this year's race. If not because of the delay on the part of the organisers, there would be more runners. Combine with the fact that KL standard chartered marathon is on the same date. However, most of the runners here rather be in Bario rather than running on the mundane road of Kuala Lumpur...here with have mud and cow 'pancakes'. 

Coincidently, Bario is experiencing the wettest time this year. It has been raining heavily, mostly during the evening. Hence, contributing to the mud along the trails.

I myself not at the best condition, still suffering from slight fever for almost one week. I felt slight better 2 days before the event but I still need to take two tablets of Panadol active fast the night before the race. I should have withdrawn from the race and it was irresponsible on my part. I felt good the next morning and I put on my running gear. Although I regret doing this but I do not promise that I will not do it again in the future 😬

The race started at 5am sharp. All of us are with our head lamp ready. I did some stretching and warm up. As usual I will start from the back and slowly making my way up front. The feeling of overtaking is better than being overtaken hahaha. 

The first part of the race is 15km to Palongan village and another 15km back to the first check point. The objective is to reach the first check point before 12pm. The rainfall the night before causing the track becoming a mud bath for all of us. All my two months training have not prepared me for this. Palongan is a beautiful place right at the remote area. It gave me the opportunity to fuel up with salt water. 15km back using the same route is equally punishing. 

As I reached the first check point of 30km, I was so exhausted. Finishing that 30km is an achievement for me. I never did 30km before. My mind keep on thinking should I quit right now. My legs were in pain. The thinking of just quitting and have a good rest was tempting. While my mind racing to make a decision, the organiser gave me a can of isotonic drink. Then I decided what the heck, I will finish another 20km even if I have to crawl to the finish line. 

The last 20km took me to the padi fields, highlands and the town of Bario. For the last 10km I am all exhausted and reduced to walking pace. My shoes are covered with muds. That make the steps heavier. I walked with some participants so there is no embarrassment there. Alas, it gave me the opportunity to enjoy the view. The best view is on top of Agan hill. I can see most part of Bario from the top of the hill. To go up was hell but the top was haven. 

I managed to finished my first ultra 50km trail run within time. I am surprised how I can complete the race. I just locked my mind and keep on moving forward. My legs just keep pushing ignoring the pain. The last 10km is more of a crawling rather than running to the finish line. I had gone beyond my pain barrier. I suffered from sun burn on my face and neck. This sunburn was only visible on the next morning when I want to dry my self with towel after I had the morning shower. 

If I had stop at the first 30km I would have save my self from lot of suffering. I can sleep nicely at the long house. But where is the fun of doing that. I would be classified as non finisher and I will never know whether I can make it. 

It shows that if you fixed your mind to it, you can achieve anything that you want.



I paid lot of price for doing this. My health deteriorated and I need lot of time to recover. But I will recover and come back stronger. At least fasting month give me the time to heal and recover, physically and spiritually. Fasting month is the time to grow your spiritual muscle...but that will be in another blog entry.


Until then, keep on live free and running wild.

Comments

Popular Posts