How Ramadan this year change my life

Each year, when it comes to the holy month of Ramadan, it will be my routine to fasting during the day and perform terawih prayer at the masjid at night. I enjoy walking to the masjid at night during ramadan. Apart from exercising, ramadan night is very calm and beautiful. If you don't realise it, go out now and look up at the sky. 

This year, its very challenging for me. First day of ramadan, I was hospitalised at 2.30am for high fever. The high fever has been recurring for the past one month. On the second day at the hospital, I was diagnosed with thyroid disorder. That explains the system like fatigue and recurring high fever. Every day for the next four days,  the nurses will come take my blood at 4.30am and 8pm for testing. 

After 4 days I was discharged from the hospital with strict instructions to finish off my anti biotic and  pills for my thyroid. for the next one week I still suffering from fatigue and high fever. The medication needs some time to take effect. I lost my appetite, swelling at my neck make it hard for me to chew my foods, and I lost 10kg in the process. 

Things that I take for granted like fasting during the month of ramadan, iftar, and terawih prayer is now a luxury items. People complains that they don't have time to prepare proper meals for iftar because of the traffic jam. For me, if only I can fasting at the first place, is already a blessing. That’s us, always complaining but blind to the blessing that God gave us. 

I am now looking at life from a different perspective. I thank for the food that I have in front of me. I thank God for letting me to get better and able to fast. I thank God for giving me the strength to perform the solah. This whole episode also give me the time to think that there are a lot of things I want to do in life. Its like Steve Job’s “what if this is the last day of my life” moment. Previously, I am a man in hurry..now I am a man who wants to do everything, achieve the impossible, at a pace faster than before. 

I thank God for the ‘resting’ time for me to reflect and rethink about my life. Ramadan this year, its not only the time for me to do good deeds, but it opens up a whole new spectrum. It is a time for me to sit back, reflect, and change my strategy for the future. No time for nonsensical attitude and unworthy people. 


Its time for me to live free and running wild again, only this time I will be running faster and wiser. 

Comments

Popular Posts